|Image Credit: Abundant Family Living (formerly Mom Is Forever)|
1 lb. chicken breasts, sauteed and cooled
15.5 oz canned, low sodium black beans
10 oz package frozen whole kernel corn
15 1/4 oz canned, no salt added OR low sodium corn
3 tsp salt-free mild chili powder
12 taco sized whole wheat or corn tortillas
14.5 oz canned, no salt added OR low sodium tomato paste
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Here is how I made our dinner:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- The original recipe calls for sauteed chicken. I boiled our chicken instead and then shredded it.
3. To the shredded chicken, add black beans.
4. Then, add corn.
Tip: I drained our corn, but after completing the meal, I wish I hadn’t. The chicken was good but I would have liked the filling a little more moist. The next time I make this, I’m not going to drain the corn. I think this will leave the filling less dry.
5. Add one teaspoon of chili powder.
6. Mix it all together. This makes the enchilada filling.
7. Spray a baking dish with Pam. I used a clear, glass dish.
8. Spoon out a desired amount of filling onto a soft tortilla.
9. Roll up the tortilla. Hold it in place with a toothpick.
10. Place the desired amount of tortillas into the baking dish.
11. Spoon out any left over filling onto the tops of the tortillas.
After I did this, I removed the toothpicks.
12. In a separate bowl, pour in 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
13. Add tomato paste.
I opted for diced tomatoes instead. After completing the meal, I realized that a can or two of Rotel would have been a good choice as well.
14. Add sour cream.
15. Mix it all up.
16. Pour the mixture over the tortillas.
17. Bake at 400 degrees until warm. I baked our enchiladas for 20 minutes.
With the exception of one daughter who hates anything with corn in it, this was a success. We will definitely have it again. My husband carried some to work the next day for lunch. He said it was good reheated too.
Tonight, we enjoyed homemade beef stew which will hopefully be the subject of my next recipe post. Come back soon for that one!